Water Analytics Internship
As an intern working on ARGO’s big water data project, you’ll be instrumental in deploying and improving CaDC open source analytics. The California Data Collaborative (‘CaDC’) is a joint effort of twelve California agencies to ensure water reliability by leveraging water-use data from the 22 million people the agencies serve.
California’s worst drought in 600 years and future uncertainty with climate change demands visionary approaches to ensuring millions of Californians have a reliable water supply. That’s where the CaDC project comes in. See here to see how CaDC analytics are supporting water managers in achieving reliability no matter what the future holds.
This is a part-time position that will require great initiative and enthusiasm. The intern should be able to commit to working from the office in downtown LA in person at least one day and commit to approximately 10-20 hours per week.
About the ARGO / CaDC Intern Position
The CaDC Intern will work closely with the ARGO's data team to conduct ad hoc analyses leveraging the CaDC's unique repository of water data, develop features for CaDC's open source analytics, and all other duties as assigned to advance smart water efficiency in California through integrated water use data.
This position requires a 10-20 hours weekly commitment, includes a modest monthly stipend and has the potential to grow into a full time position after graduation. ARGO's California office is at the LA Clean Technology Incubator, just a few blocks from Union Station.
What we look for:
You will have the chance to pioneer data infrastructure that will help safeguard a reliable water supply for millions of Californians. Working for a rapidly expanding startup nonprofit, your role may evolve as we do, but you don’t fear change; instead, you see opportunity. Strong communication skills are a must, as you will be required to work in a highly collaborative setting.
We are working to mature our pilot data platform to ingest millions of water use meter reads so that any of California’s 411 major urban retailers can join the CaDC. That’s a tall order, so drive and commitment to public service are key. In particular, we look for the following skills and attributes:
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to public service.
- Domain knowledge of water resources and sustainability issues.
- Masters or PhD candidate in computer science, analytics, informatics or related field.
- High energy and entrepreneurial personality who thrives in a self-directed environment.
- Strong written and verbal interpersonal / communication skills.
- Skills in data visualization and understanding of current civic data landscape a plus.
- Interest in the civic technology and/or data for good movements
- Knowledge of California water issues broadly and urban water use efficiency specifically a plus.
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, R)
To apply, please email email@example.com a link to your LinkedIn or attach a resume / CV and describe briefly in the body of the email your interest in California’s water future and what public service means to you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.